Hosted by Kathy O'Connell and produced by Robert Drake, Kids Corner is a live, interactive radio show for children that has earned over 23 broadcasting awards including a George Foster Peabody Award and a Major Edwin Armstrong Award for Creative Use of Radio.
Created in January 1988 by WXPN-FM radio from the University of Pennsylvania, Kids Corner's primary mission continues to be one that provides a stimulating variety of educational and entertaining programs for children ages 5-13. The show enables children to get involved in interactive segments and demonstrate their knowledge, talent and abilities. In addition, it serves as a resource for parents, educators and professionals in child-related fields.
Kids Corner can be heard Mondays through Thursdays
from 7-8pm ET on:
88.5 WXPN-FM, Philadelphia PA
88.7 WXPN-FM Lancaster/Lebanon, PA
99.7 WXPN-FM Harrisburg, PA
104.9 WXPN-FM, Lehigh Valley, PA
91.9 Hackettstown, NJ
and live worldwide on http://kidscorner.org
WXPN is the nationally recognized leader in Triple A radio and the premier guide for discovering new and significant artists in rock, blues, roots, and folk, is the non-commercial, member-supported radio service of the University of Pennsylvania. WXPN, the nationally recognized leader in Triple A radio and the premier guide for discovering new and significant artists in rock, blues, roots, and folk, is the non-commercial, member-supported radio service of the University of Pennsylvania. Besides producing Kids Corner, WXPN also produces World Cafe, public radio's most popular program of popular music hosted by David Dye and syndicated by NPR.
Kids Corner is a radio program produced by WXPN-FM, of the University of Pennsylvania. Its primary mission is to provide entertaining and educational programming for children. Kids Corner does this by involving kids in interactive segments, designed to educate, as well as to celebrate and respect their experience as youth.
Kids Corner strives to reach kids through a variety of media and serves as a resource for parents, educators, and professionals in child-related fields. Kids Corner is committed to being a safe place for kids, where they can feel comfortable about themselves, while their parents can feel secure about their children's involvement.
We accomplish this mission by:
- Providing a stimulating variety of educational and entertainment experiences appropriate for the six to thirteen-year-old.
- Preparing program content based on principles of learning, input from teachers, parents, children, and other child advocates, and with an understanding of listener attitudes and behaviors.
- Giving kids the opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge, talent, and abilities in a public way that affirms their ego and supports their own individual uniqueness.
- Providing kids with opportunities to hear and interact with others, broadening their awareness of various social and ethnic groups.
- Creating an atmosphere of fun where kids can enjoy being kids.
Certain values guide Kids Corner programming and interactive style. As a result, at Kids Corner, kids will:
- Be talked to and treated with respect for their intelligence, thoughts, and feelings.
- Hear music free from unwarranted suggestive or violent lyrics.
- Become engaged with compelling topics.
- Be encouraged to express their opinions, talents, and abilities.
- Hear support to seek the guidance of positive adult figures in their lives.
- Always learn something.
- Know that Kids Corner is programmed for them.
Kathy & Robert
To submit music for airplay consideration on Kids Corner, send 2 CDs along with a bio one-sheet to:
Kids Corner / WXPN-FM
3025 Walnut Street
Philadelphia PA 19104
- Include an email address so we can contact you if we decide to add you to rotation.
- Realize that we receive dozens of music submissions per month and will contact you only if we have decided to add your music to rotation on Kids Corner.
To see what was spun on Kids Corner, check the 7pm hour of that day
If you're looking for a specific song title or artist - you can click this link below to search the WXPN Playlist Database